Music has always been core to the Gilberts and here we’re going to put some resources for Gilberts and proxy Gilberts in regards to music.
- The Gilbert Family Christmas Carol Booklet with Music or, for those with the proper software (see the comment section below) the source in lillypond files.
Pingback: Christmas Carols with Music - Random Scribblings ...Random Scribblings …
This is great! Can you share the Lilypond source files? (or maybe you got them from somewhere else you could tell me about — I don’t need the lyrics, just the music.)
Thanks for sharing.
(found your site by the Lilypond User mailing list)
I have no objection to hosting the source files, but I’ll let dad decide if he wants to share them. He should see your comment sometime today.
I emailed you the source files — are they up on the site yet?
I emailed you back saying I was missing ‘01’
To create the booklet I did the following (eliminating some of the more fruitless steps):
1. Create an OpenOffice * document with legal-size paper in landscape with 2 columns, so it can be folded into a booklet. Number all the pages as follows: 28–1, 2–27, 26–3, 4–25, (etc — you get the idea).
2. List the songs you will use in the order you wish (the better to place them later).
3. Create your songs in Lilypond (www.lilypond.org) and compile them as a PDF. Check your work for typos both in notation and wording. Looking at my output, next time I would make all the staff-sizes the same.
4. Do ” lilypond ‑dbackend=eps ‑dno-gs-load-fonts ‑dinclude-eps-fonts –png myfile.ly ” for each file to create a PNG which can be inserted in OOo.
5. Insert each page in succession into the OOo document. Right away, make it wrap *through* (right-mouse-button>Wrap>Wrap-through) so it doesn’t wreck your spacing. It will likely be too long, so crop it (right-mouse-button>Picture>Crop) enough to fit on the page. This will generally mean cutting off the Lily footer. If you need more shrinking, use >Picture>Type to re-size the height only to fit on the page. Yes, this squishes up your image, but not enough to make much of a difference. Perhaps one thing to do next time would be to construct my LilyPond files so that the image is exactly the right proportion to fit on the page.
I realise that PNGs are not the best for resolution, but in the case of this booklet, they are all shrunk to fit the page, so there is not much detail lost. There are other ways to do this, but my object was to produce a booklet in time for Christmas with skills and software I already had.
* I am a big fan of Open Source software. Support the little guy, not the big multi-national!
1. Open Office is one of the best office suites — equivalent, and in many ways superior to MSWord. AND it’s free to download, install and use.
2. I also used Lilypond (see their site for how to use it).
3. Lilypond is used in conjunction with a text-editor, and there are several that provide good support for Lilyponding. My choice, working on a Windoze platform as well as on a PC-BSD platform is jEdit (www.jedit.org) which has a LilyPondTool plugin. This provides suitable indenting and colouring as well as a ‘console’ for compiling the files, and a PDF reader to see your results. It also has (but I don’t find all that helpful) a keyboard image for entering notes into your .ly file. It will even take MIDI input from a keyboard for note entry.